Horace Lorenzo Anderson, the dad of a 19-year-old black adolescent shot and murdered inside Seattle’s Capitol Hill Occupied Protest (CHOP) is standing up and requesting the city get the National Guard to help separate the inexorably fierce protest, presently in its third week.
Horace Lorenzo Anderson, Jr., was the first person killed in CHOP, over a week prior, during an outbreak of gun violence within the “autonomous zone.”
Anderson’s father, Anderson, Sr., spoke out, after another black teenager, this time a 16-year old, was killed in the CHOP over the weekend, and a 14-year-old was shot and injured.
“I ain’t been sleeping. You see my eyes. I’ve been crying. I’m trying not to cry on TV,” Anderson said in the Monday press conference, according to KIRO Seattle.
“This doesn’t look like a protest to me no more,” said Anderson. “That just looks like they just took over and said we can take over whenever we want to.”
Since last week, at least two people have been killed and several others wounded inside the Seattle Autnomous zone due to gun violence. And although Seattle’s mayor Jenny Durkan has pledged to bring an end to the demonstration, which is occupying six square blocks of Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood, including the Seattle Police Department’s East Precinct, many are skeptical because Durkin has been an proponent of the occupied zone even citing it would be the summer of love.
Anderson, to the contrary, says that if the city cannot break up the protest alone, officials should bring in the National Guard. “They should deployed them here to say
‘Man, it’s time to go,’” Anderson said. ” ‘It’s time to move on. And break this up.’”
It was only a matter of time before Mayor Durkins own city turned on her. She was neglect in addressing the issues with CHOP from day one.